Photo by me taken at Porto, Portugal
Number 22 is interesting number:
Twenty-two is a composite number, its proper divisors being 1, 2 and 11. 22 is the sixth discrete biprime and the fourth in the (2.q) family. With 21 it forms the second discrete biprime pair. 22 has an aliquot sum of 14 and is the fifth composite number found in the 7-aliquot tree. It has a 7- member aliquot sequence 22,14,10,8,7,1,0 of which the next two members are themselves discrete biprimes, 22 is the first discrete biprime exhibiting this property. 169 also has 14 as its aliquot sum. 22 is itself the aliquot sum of two numbers 20,38.
Twenty-two is a pentagonal number and a centered heptagonal number. When cutting a circle with just six line segments, the maximum number of pieces that can be so created is 22, thus 22 is a central polygonal number
The sum of the totient function for the first eight integers is 22. 22 is a Perrin number, preceded in the sequence by 10, 12, 17.
22 divided by 7 approximates the number π, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
Since it is possible to find sequences of 22 consecutive integers such that each inner member member shares a factor with either the first or the last member, 22 is an ErdősWoods number.
It is a Smith number in base 10.
In physics and chemistry
* The atomic number of titanium
* There are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet
* There are 22 chapters of the Revelation of John in the Bible
* In the Kabbalah, there are 22 paths between the sephiroth
* Psalm 22 (22nd in the Book of Psalm in the King James Bible), described by the New American Standard Bible as the "A Cry of Anguish and a Song of Praise", is the Psalm to which the crucified and dying Jesus makes reference, citing its first verse in Aramaic (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34)
* The number 22 is significant in many systems of numerology, often called the Master Builder or Spiritual Master in Form. This 'master number' includes all the attributes of the number 2, twice over, and also those of the 4. People who are 22s are said to find themselves feeling as if they live in two worlds, one which is overwhelmed by the mundane, and the other by the fantastic.
* In the divinatory tarot, there are 22 major arcana cards. These cards are numbered 0-21, so it is a matter of interpretation whether The Fool or The World is card number 22. The latter card is almost always associated with hard workers, a red-gold colour, and a rose-gold gemstone. The digital root of the 22 is the 4, which is the number of hard work.
The number of players in a rugby union squad for international and other top-level matches. Seven of the players are "on the bench", ready to play as replacements or substitutes. Also in rugby, the "22" is the line dividing the field into quarters, which has significance in a number of laws particularly relating to kicking the ball away. It is 22 metres from the try line.
22 is the number of players on the field in a Football (soccer) match, and also the number of players on the field at any one time in an American football match.
The jersey number 22 has been retired for NBA players Clyde Drexler, Elgin Baylor and Dave DeBusschere. The number was also worn by Rolando Blackman and John Salley, among others. It was also the number worn in high school by Sarah Palin.
The length of a cricket pitch is 22 yards.
In Australian rules football there are 22 players on each team, comprising of a starting 18, and 4 bench players.
"22" is a common name for the .22 calibre .22 Long Rifle cartridge.
NFL All-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys wore the number 22.
In Lacrosse the number 22 is given yearly to the most anticipated player on the Syracuse lacrosse team, notable people that have worn the number 22 have been, Gary Gait, Casey Powell, Mike Powell,and Ryan Powell.
"22" is the number of the Bill Davis Racing Toyota driven by Dave Blaney
"22" is worn by Atlético Pantera Rosa's center forward Andrés Torres
"22" is worn by former the former USA field hockey Women's National Team captain Kate "Tiki" Barber.
* The name of a song by punk band Millencolin.
* In Jay-Z's song "22 Two's", he rhymes the words: too, to and two, 22 times in the first verse.
* Iron Maiden has a song named 22 Acacia Avenue.
* Death Metal band Hypocrisy album "Catch 22" released in year 2002.
* Lily Allen has a song titled "22" from her album It's Not Me, It's You.
In journalism, literature, fashion, art, film and television
* Catch-22, the 1961 novel (and its 1970 film version) by Joseph Heller, which consequently gave rise to the expression "catch-22"
* Twenty-Two, Season 2episode 17 (February 10, 1961) of the 1959-64 TV series The Twilight Zone in which a hospitalized dancer has nightmares about a sinister nurse inviting her to Room 22, the hospital morgue.
* Revista 22, a magazine published in Romania
* The typical (minimum) number of episodes in a season for a television program broadcast on a major American network is 22.
* Insult comedian Jack E. Leonard, on his numerous television game show appearances, answered with "22" to any question requiring a numerical response.
* On the show Most Evil, a forensic psychiatrist scales from 1 to 22, evilness is mentally evaluated.
In weights and measures
* The number of yards in a chain.
* A cricket pitch is 22 yards in length
* The standard port number for the Secure Shell protocol
* A quotation mark (in a URL it appears as a "%22")
* 22 is the designation of the USAF stealth fighter, the F-22 Raptor.
* f/22 is the largest f-stop (and thus smallest aperture) available on most lenses made for single-lens reflex cameras
© COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Artworks contained in my gallery are copyrighted ©2007-2009 Jusuart. All rights reserved. My works may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my permission.